Psychologists say that what was said at the end of a conversation is best remembered. For educational work this is doubly true: usually the teacher carefully reads only the introduction and conclusion. Therefore, it is so important a serious attitude to how to finish an essay.
Tips how end an essay
Any student work – with the exception of the solution of problems involving a numerical answer – ends with a conclusion or conclusions. The conclusion in the essay is essentially similar to the conclusion in other works – for example, in the course paper or abstract:
- The final conclusion in the essay should be based on the facts and arguments set forth in the main part of the work, on the positions of scientists and the results of experiments considered. The final part of the essay should be consistent with the elements of expert opinion given in the text.
- The style of the conclusion should be consistent with the style of the entire work. If the work is written in a dry scientific style, you should not add artistic means to the conclusion, otherwise it will look like a foreign, artificially attached, and not an organic continuation.
- Do not reinsure yourself with the words “In my humble opinion”, “Although I am not an expert,” and the like. It looks like excuses and insecurities.
- The main thing is for the reader to understand that the essay is complete, a logical conclusion is present; so that there would be no feeling that the author wrote, wrote, and then distracted him, and the work remained unfinished.
Methods how to end an essay
The method of writing conclusions should be chosen long before the essay is completed – preferably even before beginning work on the text. Examples of methods how to end an essay:
- In the process of writing the main part, jot down ideas for the ending. Putting forward and justifying a new thesis, jot it down on a separate sheet – then by the end of the work on the main part you will have a blank for conclusion.
- Imagine that the reader asks the question: “So what?”. Explain to him, with the help of a conclusion, why he read the entire text for nothing, that he should bear it for himself.
- Try to bring the reader to a higher level of awareness of your work. Do not just mechanically repeat what was said earlier, but make him want to answer, argue or share his experience.